Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Confessions of an IKEA Hacker - Retro Wednesday

I remember when....

in Toronto, Canada....long long time ago**....just over the Queen Elizabeth Way, IKEA used to have SEKSIG MAT events for couples - or singles - I believe in Swedish it meant, something like 'Sexy Wednesdays'. For $8.95 of Canadian dollars you could have gotten a 'three course meal' - salad or soup, main dish [usually meatballs or chicken with potatoes/fries] and a desert, ALL while listening to live [that's right! live!] classical guitar music. Placato - the name of the band, would set up their gear, all dressed in black and white - maybe even with bow-ties....can't recall exactly - and played gentle classical hits of the baroque [maybe rococo?], sometimes Mozart, occasionally Beethoven...I remember yelling out 'Encore!' and 'Bravo!' while the restaurant was filled with the sound of clapping...Placato gently bowed in acknowledgment and would plunge into another classical one-hit wonder....

I tell you people....single tear streaming down my cheek.


Me and my wife felt so sophisticated, attending every week. It almost felt like the opera - with the advantage [!!] that you could bring a toddler to the event, because we already had my first son. So even thought the baby would yell out for more food - sometimes, or wave his spoon splattering the organic carrot puree around, we were never shusshed [shhh!!!!] by other lovers of classical music covers done on a guitar....who usually had brought their own babies to the event...as well.

Good times...Good times...

Does anyone else remember this? Did you attend? Was it a world-wide IKEA phenomenon? Or were we blessed living here in the good city of Toronto? let me know...I'm curious. 

More, in fact I am assembling materials for an IKEA memoir - hopefully it will be published one day....

**not that long time, 10 years to be exact.