Sunday, March 27, 2022

Thoughts on the Housing Crisis + How to repair a VINYL plank;

 

[picture shows a freshly sprayed underside of a high-end solid wood cherry table sitting in a spray booth drying, juxtaposed with the spray gun used to execute this particular project, Kremlin Xcite]

Chapter 1 - The work for the 1% never stops. 

When I try to explain to people what I do - working for the 1%, building in the top 2% for quality - it's often hard. 'Yea, I build cabinetry,' I say. Or 'I do finishing like spraying or staining.' But it's stuff like this - top notch quality results delivered via superior tool that allows me to control absolutely ever element of delivery, paired with a neurology that thrives on 'high speed attention to details' - my SO called it 'Beat Saber for money.' 

This particular slab - American Cherry - a large amount of highly skilled labour hours [Steffan is a master solid wood builder! and what a purist! ha!] already went into it, and now it was up to me to make it shine, make it look best. 

This here is my own bossman's design, his own take on Parsons Table. Parsons Table is simply a fancy name for a table that if you were to extend the all the 'exterior lines' they would intersect, or touch, kinda. 

Like this --->


I ended up creating a Parsons Table as part of a school project - I am furniture designer by education. I found that exercise quite intriguing and challenging. My own version of Parsons Table in solid wood was a failure - my bossman's version tho is a successes. 

His design manages to accomplish several things, main of which is it absolutely showcases the actual building material; showcases the only appropriate material, because this design cannot be built out of anything other than solid wood. I always consider the 'amount of constraints on the design' as a sort of measure of 'purity of design' and ultimately the success of the design. 

It is so absolutely graceful - I find the edge detail very thoughtful and well resolved. That edge detail is also a nightmare to finish successfully - this design calls for a high degree of experience when it comes to finishing. I literally lost sleep over how I am going to spray this thing; and before I actually sprayed it I did a 'dry run' where I mimicked all the actions required to spray all surfaces correctly. But when you do... oh boy... it's stunning. 

Look ----> 



'OK,' you say, 'but this is precious material that not everybody can afford.' It's true - one critical measure of material is its affordability for general consumption; some materials are naturally restricted due to their sourcing costs and skilled labour required to work it. 

UPDATE: HERE it is!





But what about stuff like this --->



What are you looking at?